Tuesday, June 21, 2011

It's Not Easy Being Green

What do you get when you take perfectly yummy and traditional smoothie ingredients like milk and frozen fruit and add things like protein powder and green, leafy vegetables? You get a smoothie worthy of Popeye! So, I know that "green smoothies" are not new. Earthy, healthy vegetarians and vegans all over have probably been concocting and drinking these power-packed little uglies for ages. However, they are new to me. A dear friend, one who encourages me in all good things, recently texted me a picture of her first green monster, and has since shared with me her thorough enjoyment of them. So, this week I decided to try them. I've made three and this is my favorite combination so far. I'm thrilled that I found a way to like this because, wow, they are healthy and sustaining. I really am not hungry for hours and hours after sipping one of these thick things! ;0)

East your heart out Popeye!



2 cups frozen strawberries
1 cup chopped, peeled kiwi
two handfuls fresh spinach
1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder (look for unsweetened) I actually used only about 1/2 - 3/4 scoop
1 cup almond or soy milk - today I used light soy



Blend in blender until smooth. This makes a pretty big smoothie - either share with someone or reduce amount as desired - don't save it. It is not good leftover.

No comments: